Sunday, January 19, 2014

Wiksten Tank

My second sewing project.

The first was the curtains for our bathroom. I think they turned out great! They have their flaws but the lines are straight. There was some looping in the thread but at the time I didn't know what to do to remedy this so I left it.

I added yellow and grey accents in the form of towels, bath mat, a candle and a print that is now hanging above the towel rod. Sunshine color does a body good.


I spent as much time undoing sewing as I did sewing this project! Seriously. I learned so much about the machine I have and threading and how to use a seam ripper and why all the tools for sewing exist. Like most projects. Having the right tools is key. Also, having well maintained tools is necessary too.

I inherited the machine I am using from my MIL. x0x0x0x0! It had a little cleaning needed. (Which I didn't figure out until the stitches were.... wrong!)

Okay so I'm certain you want to see photos.

I got this fabric from Joann's on sale (always buy sale at Joann's) (they also have a great app with coupons)

So I got this heart fabric because Fiona... and I are super into hearts lately. :-) SO much so that in honor of my little love I got this.
Its a super cute Tiny Heart tattoo. (Enter Photo bomb by Starbucks! LOVE! YUM!)

Okay back to the sewing.





At first I was going to do the neck and arm lining in the accent fabric but I decided to save that fabric for my next project of making something for Fiona.


I purchased the pattern here Wiksten Tank Pattern

It said it was great for a beginner. Other sewists reported they could bust one of these babys out in a couple hours. Well don't think that was how long it took me. This took HOURS and HOURS. (Remember the whole sew and unsew part. YUP.) Learning. Phew.




Pumped to open this new way of being creative. :-)

I can't take a photo of the finished project now because its in my closet and Jesse is sleeping. He was up all night with Fiona. :-( Poor guy. So I'll add this photo to the pre neck and arm finishing. Then I will post a photo of the finished project with me in it later. As you best be knowing I'm going to be wearing that shirt TODAY! :-)



Alright here are the photos of my ensemble today. Love that this tank can layer, dress down or up.



Next project a dress for F.

Geranium Dress

It has more advanced skills but, I've got the motivation and youtube. :-)

As an aside another project Jesse and I worked on together was this canvas for over the fireplace.



We used yellow, grey blue, and white. Piled the paint on and moved it around using our old insurance cards. It has a fun texture and depth to it. I got the idea from west elm here.
west elm art

Okay remember that coffee that was in the background of the earlier photo. Yes.! Well its in the blood stream and I'm all jazzed up. LOL.

Peace out Y'all :-)
Have a lovely day.



No comments:

Post a Comment